21 Apr

PowerPoint Tip : Fix Your Crooked Lines

Here’s a tip on how to quickly fix a crooked or less than perfectly straight line in PowerPoint.  Sometimes you might notice that even though you were holding shift your line still ended up slightly crooked.  This kind of an imperfection can drive a designer mad =)
Maybe it’s close to two objects and it’s snapping to a point or grid… well instead of changing your whole page set up just to fix this line here is a quick tip to straighten it out.

Format Tab on a Mac

Format Tab on a Mac

When you click the line go to the Format Tab in the ribbon and look at the Size option. On the right you can see that the line above has a height of .05″. Well that’s not the stroke (thickness) of the line. This number actually denotes the height difference in the location of the starting point and ending point of the line. Which means that the end point is raised above the starting point by .05″. (Think of a right triangle. The width of the line is the hypotenuse and the height is the opposite side.) Now all you have to do is just zero that field out and you’ve got yourself a perfectly straight line.
Note in vertical lines you’ll see the opposite effect. The “crooked” difference between the points will be in the width field.

Comments (21)

1. Bruce Gabrielle 22. Apr, 2011 at 12:53 am

Great tip. It drives me crazy when the line is just a little crooked. This makes it easy to fix.

2. Kuba 13. May, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Holding down the Shift button while drawing lines makes them perfectly straight.

• HauteSlides | Magda Maslowska 13. May, 2011 at 9:29 pm

LOL yes… but sometimes in PPT when you have the guides on.. an end point of a line will still snap to it even when holding shift =)

3. Kate Rash 24. May, 2011 at 8:16 am

Great tip! I’ve always wondered what trick would fix those pesky crooked lines. :)

• HauteSlides | Magda Maslowska 24. May, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Glad you found it useful Kate.

• Jorgel 13. Feb, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Thank you for present hihlgy wonderful informations. Your internet is fantastic, I am happy by the material which you have on this blog. It exhibits how very well you have an understanding of this subject. Bookmarked this page, will arrive again for a whole lot more. You, my close friend, I observed just the details I already searched all over the place and just couldn’t obtain. What a perfect web site. Such as this web page your site is one particular of my new favorites.I such as this info proven and it has provided me some type of contemplation to possess good results for some purpose, so retain up the decent work!

4. Niki 15. Jul, 2011 at 5:09 pm

It’s refreshing to find such a well written article about powerpoint related topics. I have learned some things from you. Keep up the good work

5. Arif 06. Mar, 2012 at 10:23 am

Thanks

6. jeff 13. Jan, 2013 at 4:52 pm

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Eddy Corthouts 17. Dec, 2013 at 9:03 am

Fantastic!!!

8. Matt D 14. Mar, 2014 at 5:31 am

Wow! This has to be one of best articles on the internet! Spent many years trying to sort this out in countless presentations!! Thank you!

9. Brijesh 11. Jun, 2014 at 12:45 am

Just Awesome, thanks a lot!

• Jessica 13. Feb, 2016 at 5:46 pm

I couldn’t agree more about gitcarreis. I miss sitting with some of the elderly individuals I used to help and they would tell me stories for hours about the things that they witness when they were younger, and the lives that they lived up to the point that they needed care. I have always felt that the elderly know how to live their lives better than anyone, and they for sure never take it for granted! Sometimes the people taking care of them are not good people though, and it always breaks my heart to see someone talking badly to an elderly man or woman.I like how you made a switch from little tiny babies that have no real experience with life, to elderly men and women who have lived life to its fullest and still have more life to share with others. Such opposites!

10. Danielle 07. Jul, 2014 at 11:22 am

Best tip ever!!!

11. Dickie 16. Feb, 2016 at 3:01 am

Thank you, though this is not exactly what I’m looking for. What I want to know is how to fix crooked ANIMATION LINES, as in ‘Click an object’ -> ‘Animations’ menu -> ‘Line'[Motion path]. I always changed the motion direction by dragging the ‘arrow tip’ on a horizontal direction [backward/forward]. The problem is it never makes a perfectly horizontal line. It always crooked a bit, up or down. Sometimes it jumped/shortened/lengthened on its own but still crooked. Please helps

• Vincent 09. Mar, 2016 at 10:32 pm

Hi, I just had the same issue, googled it and found this website. Then I worked my own solution. Instead of selecting “line” as the motion path, I select “arc”. Then with a right click I “edit points”, I remove those I don’t need (all except first and last if I want to draw a line), and then I play with the 2 remaining points to have a line that gets my animation exactly where I want it to be. There is probably a more clever solution, but at least that was quick.

12. Mer 22. Feb, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Finally the answer! as the shift does not always work – thank you!

13. Pat 09. Jun, 2016 at 8:00 pm

Thanks for this simple and elegant solution!

14. シャネル時計 レディース h&m 24. Jun, 2016 at 6:15 pm

★超人気ステキな激安ブランドコピー品の通販専門店★時流な元素と伝統な風格は完璧に融合しますから、人々に忘れ難い印象に残ります。
    シャネル時計 レディース h&m http://www.bestevance.com/panerai/ferrari/index.htm

15. 旅行 ボストンバッグ プラダ 24. Jun, 2016 at 6:16 pm

4月29日、ラサ百益百貨盛大に開業し、スイスガス針表総裁蒙納さんへの参加にわざわざ隠し、百益百貨店の開業テープカットの活動。蒙納さんとラサ自治区副主席、ラサ市長共通%益百貨の盛大な開業テープカットパーセント、予祝益百貨はファッション逸品を位置づけ、ラサショッピング、レストラン、レジャー、娯楽「ワンストップショッピングの天国。シャネル時計コピーは百益百貨の1階の高大な雅斯時計が集まった眼鏡の行、スイスガス針表、依波路表などの長い歴史を持っているスイスブランド時計、内装を体現した上品な間各ブランドの深い文化の詳細との値。
    旅行 ボストンバッグ プラダ http://www.gowatchs.com/brand-231-b33-min0-max0-attr0.html